On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 10:48:52 -0400, Marcie wrote:

>I have begun the process of turning the pricking for Pattern 11 in
>Niven's Flanders Lace book (pgs. 52 - 53 in the new edition) into a
>rectangular mat and have been going over the diagram vs. my
>semi-finished product. While I was at it I noticed that the diagram and
>the pricking don't match. Most  noticeable is the inner edge of the
>corner which has two sets of two pinholes on the pricking but only two
>single pinholes on the diagram.

I don't have the Niven book so I can't look at this; what follows is pure
speculation.

In Flanders there are two ways to work a corner.  Flanders is based on a 45
degree grid.  The 45 degree diagonal of the corner can either have a line of
dots along it, or lie between two lines of dots.  To work the diagonal with
pinholes along the line, it is necessary to add 2 extra pairs of bobbins,
and then having worked around the corner throw out 2 pairs (not the same
ones) on the inside edge of the corner.  Working the corner where the line
of the diagonal does not need any extra bobbins.  However, if designing a
pattern oneself by fiddling around with photocopies etc, it's much easier to
get the diagonal true by using the dots on the line variety.  So you have a
diagram for one sort of corner but a pricking for the other.

You say that you have turned the pricking into a mat.  I interpret this to
mean that you are making a piece of lace without fabric in the middle so
that it has no footside.  I've never tried this in Flanders.  Logic suggests
that if you have pins on your diagonal there are going to be extra threads
in the centre, which will need to be left out and used to work the opposite
diagonal from the centre outwards.  I'm none too sure whether this will be
feasible.  I think that a mat with a diagonal between 2 lines of pinholes
would be easier to work.  However I haven't tried any of this, and may be
wrong.
--
We are Borg of Dyslexia! Resistors are fertile. Prepare to have your ass
laminated!