Several of us seem agreed that many bobbin laces,
certainly floral Beds, and some of us (at least me)
floral Bucks, are for "thinking" persons, what about
Binche?  It's generally thought the most complex now
widely made, and I should have thought at least as
much brain power goes into it.  It seems different in
that now at least the thinking is done in making the
diagram, and the execution could be thought more
manual than cerebral, but even from my limited
attempts at following a wiring diagram for Flanders
and Point de Paris, that's not the case - it's harder
than it looks to get the diagram down in thread,
working out which bit to do first etc.

The effect of thinking on the pillow, so to speak,
seems to me that you can cope with different threads,
slightly different pricking, and you are able to
improve - as Patty and others have noted, you
gradually are more economical with the number of
threads added and thrown out, and I find also in use
of gimps.  The main advantage I've found also is that
I work out which order to do bits in so that the
bobbins are moved less - as one progresses round a
handkerchief, say, or down a length, you do more with
the same bundle of bobbins before moving to another
group.  Indeed, in the fairly basic floral Beds and
Bucks I've worked, I've been impressed by how well the
designer/patternmaker has planned the pricking so this
can be done.  It's not that difficult to cope with
nearly 100 pairs if you use no more than 20 of them at
any time!

Is it the same with Binche?  Has anyone been thinking
that out on the pillow?  I assume this was originally
done - the Paris ground sections look made exactly for
getting x bobbins from a to b with the minimum fuss
and planning, and the sort I like to look at with
admiration has a sort of careless rapture, not
carefully planned feel.  I'd love to know from the
Binche experts how they think and work.