>>>It is difficult to explain, but here's an example - in the older patterns
if there's a series of snowflakes around another element they would be
evenly spaced with reference to that other element, even if it means taking
them out of the straight lines of the snowflake ground. In the modern
patterns, though, the snowflake ground marches across the lace in military
fashion, each snowflake exactly spaced with reference to the next, but all
of them ignoring the placement of other design elements. It is almost as
though the ground and the other design elements were cut out of different
pieces of lace and just glued into the puzzle, and the effect jars my
aesthetic sense.<<<

Interesting aesthetic.  I do understand what you're saying, but my eye gets
jarred when the ground gets all distorted trying to flow around another
element.  That looks sloppy to me.  I like when the snowflakes (or whatever)
march blindly, as if the other element isn't there, disappearing
"underneath" the element to emerge unscathed and undaunted on the other
side.

to each his/her own....

Robin P.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]