Hi Arachnids!

I haven't been following this thread closely, but all the discussion on this
finally prompted me to take a look at the thingy. It looks to me like it could
be a drop spindle for hand spinning. The reason I suggest is that I have
spindle that has a notch thingy like that at the top -- can anyone rule that in
or out as plausible ?

Interesting, in any event....

Regards,

Ricki in Utah, where we've got lots of yellow leaves, cloudy skies, and a
promise of rain.