In a message dated 12/12/2007 11:01:36 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

We seem  to have several judges on the list - I wonder, what would be
your thoughts  if you were faced with:

1. a superb original artistic vision and  fantastic original design, in
either a simple lace well made, or a  difficult lace not expertly made

or

2. A tour de force of  technical skill in making a pattern that is
available to anybody who has  bought the book.

Which would you choose?

The one that is hand mounted? :-)

Seriously, these are the most difficult things to judge. Do you reward
someone who tries something difficult and does not have a perfect result or
someone who does something perfect that is not that much of a challenge? Do you

reward creativity and individuality? How much?

Actually, the point system by Diana Stevens which I tend to rely on,  has
points awarded for complexity       and for  Wow factor, also Design
Compatibility. It is on-line at
_http://www.domesticarts.com/Judging/judginglecture.htm_
(http://www.domesticarts.com/Judging/judginglecture.htm)

Devon