Cathy
paypal is how I handle the money part of selling my books.  The buyer doesn't
need a paypal account, but the seller does need to have one.  Paypal lets you
create an invoice, which it sends to your customer.  The customer can use any
standard credit card to pay the invoice.  Paypal notifies you when the payment
is received, and is valid.  Only then do you send the pdf.

Paypal does take a small fee, I don't remember the percentage.  But it saves
postage, packaging material, the annoyance and delay of sending out a physical
book.  For the customer the time between the desire for the book and receiving
the book is only 2-3 hours, instead of a week or more.
Lorelei