I also use those fine insect pins.  I make Binche lace, and when the long and
very fine pins went out of production several years ago, I bought every
(expensive!) vial of them that I could find.  So I still have a good supply,
and guard them like Gollum "my precioussss")!

I discovered the insect pins were the same size, but have a plastic blob on the
top.  I prefer the tiny metal heads.  So, to help stretch out my supply of
Binche pins, I paint the tops of the insect pins with a dab of bright red nail
polish.  I use these strictly for support (temporary) pins in my work.  I leave
them in only until I have established the tension I want and have gone a few
rows down.  Then the temporary pins, which are easily distinguished, are
removed.

But, in all honesty, if you don't have access to the steel pins, these insect
pins are a good choice!  Certainly better than using a pin that is too big or
too short, and they are mot at all expensive if you purchase them from a
scientific source that sells pins to bug collectors!

Clay

Sent from my iPad