As a beginner, I was told to leave the pins in "overnight".  I think this was
a general rule to cover the chance that the thread being used took longer to
conform than usual.  I have seen a bookmark that had the last inch curled
when the rest of it lay flat.  I contributed this to the final pins being
removed immediately.  I may or may not have been correct.
In my experience, a good thread conforms to shape very fast.  Working a
narrow edging on a roller pillow has the lace falling free of the pin area in
2-3 hours.  I never saw any difference between those sections and the ones
that stayed pinned for weeks.

To support this fast-conforming idea is the rule I was told about making
leaves.  If I make a leaf and it's bad so I take it out, use a different
worker thread on the second try.  The incorrect bends put in the worker
thread on the first try are still in the fiber memories.  Use a new worker
that has not been 'bent'.  That first leaf was shaped for only a few minutes
yet that was long enough to make that thread difficult to re-shape.

Conversely, when I end a bookmark with a tail of the threads, I want the
threads to lie straight.  They have been wrapped on bobbins for an unknown
length of time and will curl if cut off.  I unwind  them for 6-8 inches,
pull them straight, dampen them, and pin them down firmly.  Then let them
stay there at least overnight.  This is forcibly removing the 'curl' set into
the threads by being wound on the bobbins so I give them plenty of time to be
re-educated.
So --- my conclusion is that it depends on the thread.  That's hard to
explain to a beginner.  I think that's why my first teacher told us to leave
it sit overnight.  It didn't hurt the good thread to sit, and gave a chance
for a poor thread  to conform.  Beginners have a greater chance of using a
thread that's not the best quality.
Alice in Oregon -- where it's very hot this weekend. It's been a very warm
year so far, setting many heat records.