Hello everyone

Some comments - I usually leave at least an inch-worth of pins in, not
really to let the lace set, but to mind the finished work against, for
example, tensioning too firmly and bunching the lace out of shape. Some
patterns have a particular passive that can be a culprit. If I notice which
one, it pays to intentionally work an anchor stitch with that pair and a
neighbour from time to time, to control matters.
Some patterns require more pins being left in for the above reason if the
ground needs to be kept stable.
On patterns with picots, I leave all the picot pins in place where possible.

When working on an edging either on a roller or on a block pillow, I wrap
the outgoing lace around something to 'mind' it - a small fabric cylinder
is good to have (they are nice lace event favours, too), or a small, smooth
flat piece of wood, in French, called a plioir. I wrap the edging lace
specifically to set it, intending that the width at the beginning is the
same as at the end. On a block pillow, I might pin the finished lace at a
few places on a posterior block, gently layering it on top of itself as the
work progresses.

--
Bev in Shirley BC, near Sooke on beautiful Vancouver Island, west coast of
Canada