Using a pool noodle does give a good base to a roller or bolster if it has
enough layers of wool to take the brunt of the pins.  I bought a pillow with
a roller that gave out in 2-3 yards of lace work.  When i took it apart, it
had a pool noodle without any wrappings. An inch of wool wrappings would have
made a great difference in the life of the roller.

I think I remember seeing 5-6 inch pool noodles in the store previous years. 
You might watch for the larger size if you want a fat bolster.
The main thing I wanted to comment on is the lightness of the foam bolster. 
A light bolster could roll easily when tensioning threads.  A well-fitting
basket, box or stand would give support.  I suggest putting a layer of rubber
shelf lining between the bolster and the holder.  This shelf lining is
usually available at dollar stores or even the market.  It's thin but
provides a non-slip surface.
I have a vague memory of seeing or reading about a temporary bolster support
on a table.  A large towel was rolled up from both ends until the rolls
almost met.  It was turned over so the rolls were down on the table, and the
bolster sat in the valley between the rolls. Add a layer of the rubber shelf
lining, and it might make a usable, portable bolster support.  I haven't
tried it.  Is anyone on Arachne familiar with this idea?
Alice in Oregon -- on my way to check out the final arrangements for the
Northwest Lace Conference next month.  Preparations are well advanced for a
great conference.  See portlandlacesociety.com for details. Registration is
still open.

-
To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]. Photo site:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacemaker/sets/

Reply via email to