I used to travel without camera, computer, or phone, thinking I was seeing
more that way. However, there have been studies showing that people
perceive more about what they are seeing when they look with a goal of
capturing and documenting what they are seeing.

There is a recent article in Psychology Today () that summarizes some
recent findings:  "In a series of experiments, participants navigated
either a real-life museum or a virtual art-gallery. Some could choose to
take pictures of objects that caught their attention, either by using an
actual camera or by clicking an on-screen button. Others didn’t have this
option.

"Afterward, people in the picture-taking groups had a better visual memory
for specific objects they had seen, compared to those who couldn’t take
pictures. Not surprisingly, the effect was strongest for objects they had
photographed. But to a lesser extent, it held true for objects they didn’t
photograph as well."

Reference:   Barasch A1, Diehl K2, Silverman J3, Zauberman G4.
"Photographic Memory: The Effects of Volitional Photo Taking on Memory for
Visual and Auditory Aspects of an Experience."  Psychol Sci. 2017
Aug;28(8):1056-1066; abstract available at
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28650721

This research has even led to "Contemplative Photography", using this
effect to grow one's perceptivity and connection to the world. One of the
entries in a Google search is:
"Seeing Fresh: The Practice of Contemplative Photography  (seeingfresh.com/)
Contemplative photography is a method for seeing and photographing the
world in fresh ways, to reveal richness and beauty that is normally hidden
from view."

Now I take a camera with me as I travel, and have indeed found that I see
more when I really look, and a camera helps me focus on doing that. (pun
admitted!)

Nancy
Connecticut, USA

On Sun, Sep 16, 2018 at 5:32 PM, J-D Hammett <jdhamm...@msn.com> wrote:

> Also, I so agree with you that I refuse to spent important experiences
> behind
> a camera.

I travel without phone, computer, or camera because of an old-fashioned
preference for absorbing all that is around me.