Hi Shelagh,

I had carpal tunnel problems in both hands, and had surgery on both. The
first surgery was the standard ligament release with a long incision -- it
healed up tight and I occasionally have problems still in that hand, plus
it was a long and painful recovery. The other wrist was done
endoscopically: they made a little slit at the end of my arm and another in
my palm, and inserted a tube and a tiny camera. The surgeon cut the
ligament from the inside, releasing the pressure on the nerve. I had a
bandaid on both little slits, a local nerve block, no tranquilizer or other
anesthetic, and no pain--I drove myself home afterwards! That release has
stayed released and I have no problems in that hand anymore.

Moral of the story -- get a release done soon, but make sure it's
endoscopic surgery. I can type or make lace for hours on end with no
problem with my left wrist or hand, and minimal problems with my right (the
standard surgery). (Shoulders and back are a different story!) The release
makes a world of difference, but the standard one can be only partially
effective.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you.

Nancy
Ashford, Connecticut, USA