Reimar Grabowski wrote:
On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 14:19:07 +0000
Mark Morgan Lloyd <markmll.laza...@telemetry.co.uk> wrote:

and in my experience the thing that's most likely to work is DVD playback because the data stream is (as I understand it) sent via a backdoor to the graphics chips bypassing most of the kernel and X.
On Linux and BSD at least it's the standard to bypass X when talking to the GPU.

With the major caveat that the interfaces used for playing video and for program-generated graphics are distinct (hardware MPEG decompression in one case, OpenGL in the other) and having one work implies nothing about the other.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk