On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 08:52:12 +0200
"A.J. Venter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm not sure what you mean by this. This is a toolkit for 2D games, like
> pacman or animated scenes in your app. Tilebased games etc. work fine,
> why do you need blending in this environment?
Special FX like particle systems, shots, etc. If you want to see what
difference hw acceleration makes, take a look at chromium B.S.U. It is a nice,
old 2D shooter and runs on any OpenGL card with more than 4MB RAM. Now imagine
what you can do with nowadays cards.

> Okay I get it - you like using the graphics card :)
Exactly. They are developed for doing nicer and faster graphics than CPU based
rendering can achieve. If it is 2D or 3D doesn't matter, your gfx card can do
it faster than the CPU and you have your CPU left for gamelogic and other
stuff. And GPUs are standard in nowadays computers, so why not use them? It's
easy enough and you can do it with FPC and Lazarus.

> I am well aware that SDL <> OpenGL - that is why I compared my suite to
> SDL and NOT to openGL. It isn't OpenGL nor is it meant to be. We already
> HAVE an OpenGL that works wonderfully. This is a toolkit that's meant to
> do the same work the SDL does when you do NOT use the OpenGL wrapper. I
> also don't intend to add an OpenGL wrapper to gamepack since the
> environment it's created for (Lazarus) already contains one.
Lazarus does not contain an OpenGL wrapper. It offers a rendering context
component and bindings to the API, that's a difference.

> The reason
> people use SDL with OpenGL is to tap into it's event handlers and such -
> since they are no longer using it's graphics features. This wouldn't
> make any sense in GamePack as gamepack is JUST the graphics
> features(specifically it's THOSE graphics features that are NOT already
> in lazarus - like a twin-buffer screen) and some powerful utility
> components to automate blitting and motion controlls.
When it comes to graphics we have a very different definition of powerful.

regards
666