At 2002-02-27 10:45 -0800, Mike Sensney wrote:
>At 06:41 AM 2/27/2002 -0800, Mike Noyes wrote:
>>BTW, our released files are already on Ibiblio.org as part of the SF
>>mirrors. A link to the SF mirror is on the ibiblio.org home page in the
>>first right box labeled "Sourceforge ftp mirror".
>>
>>ftp://ftp3.sourceforge.net/
>>ftp://ftp3.sourceforge.net/pub/sourceforge/leaf/
>
>The SF ftp structure sucks and the Ibiblio mirror of the SF site sucks for
>the same reason.

Mike,
I don't like the current SF file release system any better than you do.
Even the SF staff dislikes it. That's one of the reasons I believe there
will be a rewrite.

>Ibiblio offers a tree structure now. Why wait for SF to implement a tree
>structure for us when obviously this isn't a priority issue for SF and
>probably won't be offered for some time if ever?

The main reason is a central location for users to locate our files.

>Storage of large files including CD images don't seem to be an issue.
<snip>
>I suggest that Ibiblio is a much better repository for our files than SF.

It may be, but will everyone agree to the naming conventions they enforce?
http://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/howtosubmit.html

Also, how many developers are allowed to submit changes to the repository?
I was unable to locate this information.

The last consideration is licensing. David is using the MIT license, and
everyone else is using GPL. From what I understand reading the iBiblio
licensing page, only one license is allowed per repository.
http://ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/LICENSES/!INDEX.html

--
Mike Noyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://sourceforge.net/users/mhnoyes/