On Thu, 2002-07-11 at 14:21, Manfred Schuler wrote:
> Mike Noyes schrieb:
> > On Thu, 2002-07-11 at 07:51, Mike Noyes wrote:
> > > Manfred,
> > > I looked at this example again, and I think the sequence below is an
> > > accepatble solution for it.
> >
> > Here is a small but significant addition to this sequence. It will allow
> > retrieval of the tree in its 1.0 state.
> >
> > 1$ cvs -q tag R_1_0
> > 2$ cp scriptb scriptc
> > 3$ cvs add scriptc
> > 4$ cvs ci -m "added scriptc old filename was scriptb" scriptc
> > 5$ rm scriptb
> > 6$ cvs remove scriptb
> > 7$ cvs ci -m "removed scriptb new filename is scriptc" scriptb
>
> [snip]
>
> I recommend to tag every release with an appropriate label.
> So you can retrieve any old release or verify what is released.
> I also recommend to tag the latest release with somthing like 'latest'
> for easy retrieval.

Manfred,
Agreed. Tags are good. :-)

> I don't think this sequence will work because in line 5 you remove
> scriptb
> and in line 7 you try to checkin scriptb.

I believe this sequence is correct, and a checkin is required to move
the file to the Attic in the repository.

ref.
http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/cvsbook.html#Removing_Files
http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/cvsbook.html#What_Happens_When_You_Remove_A_File

> I have no experience with cvs and from the man pages I could not
> determine
> if line 6 removes only the last version or all versions of scriptb.
> If it removes all versions you get the problem with version 0.9.
>
> I would use this sequence
>
> cvs -q tag R_1_0
> cvs -f ci -m "file renamed to scriptc" scriptb

>From the cvs man page:
 commit  [-lnR]  [-m 'log_message' | -f file] [-r revision] [files...]
    Sometimes  you may want to force a file to be  committed  even
    though  it  is unchanged; this is achieved with the -f flag, which
    also has the effect of disabling recursion (you can turn it back on
    with -R of course).

How will this help?

--
Mike Noyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>