Mike Noyes schrieb:

> On Thu, 2002-07-11 at 07:51, Mike Noyes wrote:
> > Manfred,
> > I looked at this example again, and I think the sequence below is an
> > accepatble solution for it.
>
> Here is a small but significant addition to this sequence. It will allow
> retrieval of the tree in its 1.0 state.
>
> 1$ cvs -q tag R_1_0
> 2$ cp scriptb scriptc
> 3$ cvs add scriptc
> 4$ cvs ci -m "added scriptc old filename was scriptb" scriptc
> 5$ rm scriptb
> 6$ cvs remove scriptb
> 7$ cvs ci -m "removed scriptb new filename is scriptc" scriptb

[snip]

I recommend to tag every release with an appropriate label.
So you can retrieve any old release or verify what is released.
I also recommend to tag the latest release with somthing like 'latest'
for easy retrieval.

I don't think this sequence will work because in line 5 you remove
scriptb
and in line 7 you try to checkin scriptb.

I have no experience with cvs and from the man pages I could not
determine
if line 6 removes only the last version or all versions of scriptb.
If it removes all versions you get the problem with version 0.9.

I would use this sequence

cvs -q tag R_1_0
cvs -f ci -m "file renamed to scriptc" scriptb
cvs -q tag -d MAIN scriptb
mv scriptb scriptc
cvs add scriptc
cvs ci -m "file renamed from scriptb" scriptc

This sequence is not tested. It is just what I can read from
the man pages. Maybe you need additonally this line
cvs remove scriptb
but as mentioned, I don't know what exactly is removed.
Maybe the tag MAIN cannot be deleted, although I couldn't find
it in the man page.

--
Manfred Schuler
E_Mail: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]