On 2017-04-10 23:55:20, James wrote:
> Hi,
> So my colleagues at work feel that I should use GNUCash for accounting
> purpose at work.I have tried using GNUCash but its rather very
> clunky(especially after using Ledger).
> At my work place we process on average 100 transactions a day and our ledger
> can grow quite quickly. My colleagues argue that GNUCash will be easier
> manage and keep things organized as opposed to Ledger.
>
> I think ledger with orgmode is quite organized. Furthermore the idea of
> having the entire company account in a single text file is very intimidating
> to them so please share your views.
>
> Appreciate if someone could share their view on this.

This will obviously not be a popular opinion here, but I found Gnucash
to work pretty well for a small business. I used it for 2 years for a
non-profit tech coop i co-founded in 2004, but we didn't have that many
transactions (we had 1200 transactions over those two years).

We ended up switching to SQL-Ledger/LedgerSMB back then, mostly because
we needed multi-user support, which wasn't so good in Gnucash back then,
although I heard things have improved.

Since I have left my job there, I resumed doing my own accounting as a
freelancer, and for this I'm using ledger-cli. I found a few quirks and
issues, but it mostly works for my small needs.

But I can't imagine running 100 transactions per day in ledger-cli. I
can't think of how I would allow for multiple to add transactions
simultaneously. Git? I already have merge conflicts with myself, and
they are not fun...

For this I would use an actual database-backed system like LedgerSMB,
Odoo or Tryton, probably the latter because it has nice Debian packages
and it's not written in perl, although I have only had experience with
LedgerSMB, which had worrisome consistency issues in the 1.2 version
(although there was a major cleanup done in 1.3+ releases).

Good luck!

A.

--
feature, n: a documented bug | bug, n: an undocumented feature
                        - Mario S F Ferreira <li...@freebsd.org>