From: legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com
[mailto:legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Bawdsey64
Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2018 1:06 PM
To: MWF; Mike Pung
Subject: Re: REVO POWER

Hi Mac

Electricity in the Royal Empire is sent around the country on big pylons at
high voltage 10KV and at beefy current levels. When it comes out of the wire at
house level it is has been transformed down to a nominal 240 volts at 50
cycles.  However into factories it is normally 3 phase at 415 volts.

Now if that 3 phase supply is going into domestic properties, such as a block
of  apartments then the electrician can take  three 240 volt supplies from the
3 phase supply using one phase plus the neutral from the 3 phase supply.

Once in the property the electrician runs a number of ring main circuits from
the power cabinet PLUS all our UK domestic power plugs are FUSED unlike I
believe in the USA .

It is a long time, about 57 years, since I did electrical theory when I was in
the Royal Air Force so rather than dig out my old note books from way back
then, and yes I still have them, I referred to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-phase_electric_power where it is explained
in great detail.

When we joined the European Union we were meant to change our 240 volt supply
to 230 volts but being British and knowing we would  leave that club one day we
never changed.

Cheers

Roger

​