Brian L. Lightfoot wrote
>The whole purpose of a source citation is to explain where you got the
>data and hopefully allow future viewers of your family file to go back
>to that source and check the authenticity and validity of the
>information. So right there we have a problem with all "online
>databases". While the link may work today, chances are that in one year
>or longer, the link will be dead. And at that point, the source of your
>information as you show it in your citation becomes hidden from the
>world. There really is no way around this as that is the very nature of
>the Internet "beast". Like politicians, links come and go.
>
>Now if you could check the information about the online database itself
>and determine from where the database info came from, then in reality,
>that is the real source of the information.

I cite all sorts of online databases and the SW templates usually
provide a field in which to enter "citing ..." which gives the original
source of the data.

I would not say that where the database info came from is the "real
source" - it is the source used by the compiler(s) of the database, but
not the source *I* used.  Ideally, of course, one should go back to the
original info (when possible) as the database may not be an accurate
representation of the data.
--
Jenny M Benson