They are artificial characters added by your email reader because it
does not have the correct symbol for that contained in the incoming
email. This is usually caused by differences in the character set the
user used in their email and the character sets installed on your computer.

Brian
Customer Support
Millennia Corporation
br...@legacyfamilytree.com