On 10/27/2012 6:44 PM, Jan Roberts wrote:
> It seems to happen to my own messages when I convert them to plain text for
> sending to the list.  So I presumed that is what was doing it to other
> people's messages that come through with the strange symbols.
>
> Cheers
> Jan

Your email client (I use Thunderbird) should have an option for
character encoding.  Mine is set to:
Outgoing Mail: Western (ISO-8859-1)
Incoming Mail: Unicode (UTF-8)

This correctly translates and displays the characters correctly.

Western (ISO-8859-1) appears to be understood correctly by all mail
readers and the Unicode (UTF-8) appears to understand both, so far.

--

Gene Young
Researching Young, Harer, Cox & Sallada