On Sun, Oct 16, 2016 at 4:08 PM, 'Terry Brown' via leo-editor

So I'd argue for leaving commit_timestamp.json as is and living with
> the two shortcomings you identified.  But if it's not bearable, we can
> do something like you suggest.

​I've already done what I suggested, and it works fine, especially for
official releases. But I see your point: the daily builds won't have
detailed version info.

Most importantly, I want to make things solid for us core developers, and
for those that get Leo using git. Having to install hooks is intolerable in
the long run. The new way is far better.

What to do about daily snapshots? Maybe the script that creates the
snapshot could create commit_timestamp.json. In this case, leoVersion.py
would fall back on the legacy code if git is not around.  It would be
straightforward to do this.

I like this approach--it doesn't let the tail wag the dog. What do you
think? For sure I am not going back to the old way.