On Sun, Oct 16, 2016 at 8:20 PM, Mike Hodson <myst...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, Oct 16, 2016 at 7:12 PM, Edward K. Ream <edream...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Here's an example.  I downloaded
> > leo-editor-281522323a89c27b7c58338b1eaa624cbd383078.zip
> > from two days ago.
> How?

​From the two days ago
link on the download leo page <http://leoeditor.com/download.html>.​

​When I awoke early this morning, I saw the way forward.  It should satisfy

1. Add​ commit_timestamp.json to .gitignore.  No more merge conflicts and
no more pollution of the git record.

2. Create leo/core/commit_timestamp.json in @button make-leo in
leoDist.leo. This will ensure that a valid commit_timestamp.json appears in
all official distributions, *without the need for git hooks*.

3. Add commit_timestamp.json back to the manifest in
launchLeo-unified.spec, so that pyinstaller will include it.

4. Change leoVersion.py so that it gets the commit hash and date from
commit_timestamp.json if it can not get it from git.

The correct commit hash and date will appear at signon in all official
distros, without devs having to install git hooks or worry about merge
commits on commit_timestamp.json.

I'll do this today, and test it, as part of releasing 5.4b1.