On Sun, Jul 9, 2017 at 9:21 AM, vitalije <vitali...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I wander Edward, what are your thoughts of idea that at least for projects
> using Leo for development it would be advised not to keep external files in
> repository, but instead just to keep nodes as separate text files, named
> after gnx with the content that consist of headline as first line followed
> by content of body.

​I don't like that idea at all. Imo, this would greatly reduce Leo's values
as an IDE.
​

> Additionally in repository should be kept special file (named after Leo
> document but with extension `.tree`. This file can contain simple
> representation of tree. Every line starts with number specifying level of
> node and followed by the gnx (and optionally headline for readability). Leo
> can have a command to recreate outline from those pieces and also to export
> pieces in folder.

​It's not totally out of the question, but I don't think it will work.
Long experience makes me leery of attempts to keep files in sync.  The
recent problems with caching are an example.
​

> A developer (that doesn't use Leo)  interested in such project would have
> to download script which can create all external files defined by Leo
> outline and use those files for whatever purpose he/she likes. If however
> the developer wishes to contribute then another script can parse external
> files and adjust node files.

​All these ideas are way, way too heroic.  Devs typically track files, not
weird Leo-like things.  We must not go there.

When I said that that #501
<https://github.com/leo-editor/leo-editor/issues/501> was​

​worth any amount of work, I meant any amount of *encapsulated, localized*
work.  I am likely to reject proposals that complicate users' typical work
flow, or change how devs use git.

Edward​