or, if your app settings on Windows are working right, just

  os.system(r"start C:\path_to_outline\test.leo")

This way, the starting console closes immediately.  True, you have to edit
the @command ...@key contents if you want to open some other outline
(workbook.leo might be a good place for this command), but then you don't
have to find and edit the helper file t.cmd.