On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 8:56 AM, Thomas Passin <tbp100...@gmail.com> wrote:

I didn't have too much trouble finding color constants per se.
> ​...​
> But colors look different depending on their surroundings, and I had to do
> a lot of trial and error to hit on ones that worked *and* were distinct
> enough from other syntax colors you might find in a page of code.

​Here's a trick I use all the time.  During testing I reload a *small* leo
file, running in another process.  It typically takes just a few keystrokes
to load this.  Not perfect, but the test file could have the syntax
coloring "template" as the selected node, so you can see your results in
context.

Just now I saw that I could speed this process further.  I created the
following @button node as a *common* @button node in myLeoSettings.leo.
That is, it is a child of the @buttons node.

@button load-ekr @key=F5

@language python
# Open ekr.leo in a separate process.
import os
os.system("e")

On Windows, F5 will execute e.bat, which opens ekr.leo.  The command runs
in the same console as Leo itself, but in a separate process that uses the
latest Leo code. Leo remains responsive.

The /wait option to os.system would wait for the command to finish, but I
see no reason to want to do that.