On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 7:43 AM, Chris George <technat...@gmail.com> wrote:

So I guess I am really just looking for the easiest way to close and
> reopen a Leo file programmatically.
>
> An @button would save a lot of time.

‚ÄčOn Windows I use the following @command node to open a test file. Change
it to @button if you like:

@command F5-open-test @key=F5

@language python
import os
c.saveAll()
os.system("start  cmd /c t")
    # Open ~/test.leo in a separate console.
    # t.bat ends with exit so the console closes when I close Leo.
leo_dir = g.os_path_finalize_join(g.app.loadDir, '..', '..')
os.chdir(leo_dir)
# print(g.os_path_abspath(os.curdir))

Imo this is even better than closing and opening your dev .leo file.

F5 saves any work in your dev .leo file and opens the *small* test file in
a console.  The console closes automatically when you close the test file.

Your big dev .leo file never needs to be reloaded.  os.curdir remains
unchanged.

Note: the call to os.system happens after c.saveAll completes fully, so you
are always testing the latest code.  If, say, there is a syntax error in
your python code, loading the test file would fail, but your dev .leo file
remains running.

On Linux, use something like this:

os.system('x-terminal-emulator -e python <path-to>launchLeo.py
<path-to>test.leo')

HTH.