Well, I came across leo last week, looking for a python IDE that would
(potentially)
- run on Windows
- allow to make the resulting python run on a separate computer (same
network but different subnet) for security reasons, maybe on Linux.
- ideally, the python script could run with another user account and
decrypt the data files locally, so that the programmer would not access
data at all.
- the Python file would then create aggregated results and send (or share)
them to other team members.
On that project, no decision has been taken yet, likely to happen end of Q2.

But my history is close to map...'s one :
- I tried mind map tools and was dissatisfied (I don't care about
"beautiful links" and I'm colorblind). I mostly use Excel sheets for that.
- I searched for decades for the perfect file editor (still notepad++ for
me, I'm not the vi or emacs type)
- I also used OneNote (on a on-off, not really satistied basis)
- My interest on python is both on "datafile crunching" and "time series
graphics"
- I used twiki 20 years ago and contributed a few routines, including
HandlingPlurals (now removed, only echoed on Ward Cunningham c2.com, stale
recently, i.e. in 2015)

In the mean time/week, I installed leo (once), wrote my first outline, lost
it (maybe it's somewhere on my computer), and discovered a few things that
should be documented IMHO but could look obviously trivial for the core
team
- a .leo file is using XML and using userid and timestamps for node
description, but the text is ... untouched UTF-8?
- leo is said to be "an editor" written in Python, but includes ... a copy
of an editor (CKEditor4) that is apparently written in Javascript, and
unpatched since 2014 (and unused ?)
- leo commands are of the form "@name", most of which a newbie like me
should ignore, and some of which are purposely undocumented (@root and
others)
- for a newbie, there could be more answers to FAQ in the history.leo file
than in the FAQ itself.
- the minibuffer is inherited from emacs, and serves ... a yet to discover
number of functions
- many of the .leo files are probably there for history only. Could be an
interesting journey, wonderland, or getting lost in useless files (or nodes
? or sth else ?)
- several the .leo files are information that may be important only for
.leo developers (or maybe only the inventor himself ?). My limited python
experience give me absolutely no clue what they could be used for. In any
case, there are not tagged "for dev only" or so.
- the leo windows is using Qt internally
- EKR is the userID of Edward, the inventor and maintainer  of leo
- highlighted text (including URLs are NOT links. you need to copy/paste
them to open (or maybe use a still-to-discover setting)
- opening leo will open the "workbook.leo" outline by default, but likely
others as well according to settings.