On 04/18/2018 11:05 AM, zz zz wrote:

So my question is, one could go ahead and simply do away with udev altogether ("uninstall") or does the Kernel needs it somehow? (or maybe some program / package, as I doubt many devs would consider anyone not having udev nowadays)

I don't know about systemd, but for SystemV you could omit eudev and create all needed block and character devices with mknod along with needed directories and symbolic links. Then make sure everything has the correct permissions and ownership.

Then when you build the kernel, omit the option

Maintain a devtmpfs filesystem to mount at /dev [CONFIG_DEVTMPFS]
Do not add the line starting with devtmpfs to /etc/fstab.

That's a minimum.  There may be more issues.

Welcome to the world of linux-2.2 and earlier.

> As an aside, I wonder if this could be achieved on other distros.
> (assuming if necessary, that one's not using USB for instance)

Probably not, especially the ones using systemd.

  -- Bruce