On 22/06/2016 19:52, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Pierre Labastie wrote:

>>> Now that you mention it Pierre, I think the following would be better
>>> because it is far easier to read and understand. [...]
>
> We could use -r 's@/lib(..)?/ld@/tools&@g' to cover /lib/ld.

seems OK

> I prefer not using what 'man 7 regex' calls Obsolete ("basic") regular
> expressions.  Otherwise there are too many backslashes that interfere with
> understanding what is going on.  The equivalent in grep is using the -E option
> or egrep.

agreed

>> Actually, the regexp in the book is matched by many files
>> gcc/config/sparc/linux64.h
>> gcc/config/sparc/linux.h
>> gcc/config/rs6000/linux64.h
>> gcc/config/rs6000/sysv4.h
>> gcc/config/mn10300/linux.h
>> gcc/config/vax/linux.h
>> gcc/config/bfin/linux.h
>> gcc/config/s390/linux.h
>> gcc/config/mips/linux.h
>> gcc/config/xtensa/linux.h
>> gcc/config/i386/linux64.h
>> gcc/config/i386/linux.h
>> gcc/config/cris/linux.h
>> gcc/config/nios2/linux.h
>> gcc/config/m68k/linux.h
>> gcc/config/frv/linux.h
>> gcc/config/microblaze/linux.h
>> gcc/config/ia64/linux.h
>> gcc/config/tilepro/linux.h
>> gcc/config/m32r/linux.h
>> gcc/config/linux.h
>> gcc/config/tilegx/linux.h
>> gcc/config/sh/linux.h
>
> We should be hesitant in changing instructions that have worked for so long,
> but the only files that should affect us are those that begin with
> gcc/config/i386/
>
> The only files that have lib32 are:
> gcc/config/mips/linux.h
> gcc/config/tilegx/linux.h.
>
> The ones that match lib64 are:
> gcc/config/mips/linux.h
> gcc/config/sparc/linux64.h
> gcc/config/i386/linux64.h (one place)
> gcc/config/rs6000/linux64.h
>
> The find for sysv4.h should be irrelevant for us.

I realize that the files have changed a lot since our instructions have been
written... It seems that s@/usr@/tools@ is not needed anymore, because
the paths are now relative (to what, I am not sure. But at least they are not
absolute). OTOH, it is hard to know whether and where the instructions about
STARTFILE_PREFIX are needed...

Pierre