Bruce Dubbs wrote:
Dr.-Ing. Edgar Alwers wrote:

$ ldd /tools/bin/gcc
          linux-vdso.so.1 (0x00007ffdf9d09000)
          libm.so.6 => /tools/lib/libm.so.6 (0x00007f0813de7000)
          libc.so.6 => /tools/lib/libc.so.6 (0x00007f0813a46000)
          /tools/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00007f08140eb000)
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^

in my case, outside chroot
ldd /tools/bin/gcc
            linux-gate.so.1 (0xb7708000)
            libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0xb769b000)
            libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xb74dc000)
            /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7709000)
               ^^^^

This is your problem, but I don't know why this happened or how to fix it.

What would you suggest ? is there a mistake I made ? could I correct it
? or
should I erase everythink and start from the scratch, as I am just
entering
chapter 6 ?. But what if there is a bug in the system ? Would it be more
advisable to start from the stable version of lfs ? And what happens with
William Harrington's suggestion, the interpreter could be linked to the
host
OS? What is the reason for this ?

What I would need to do is power up my old P6 and build through Chapter 5
to check.  I'll see if I can do that later today.

Edgar,
   I tried to fire up my P6 yesterday but there seemed to be a power
issue.   I left it plugged in and today I noticed some LEDs flashing.  I
tried to restart it and it worked.  Curious.  It's like a battery needed
to be recharged, but I don't know of any battery except maybe a hwclock
battery.

In any case I freshened up the sources and jhalfs and started it building.
  I checked the SBU time and it is 259 seconds :(  I'm used to 93 seconds
now and can get it down to about 30 seconds with multiple cores.

The host is running SVN-20120610 with a 3.4.1 kernel built Oct 2014.

The system is now working on gcc-pass1 and I'll get back to you as soon as
I know anything, but it may not be until tomorrow.

My P6 build is now complete and it was successful. I was using jhalfs to generate the scripts from the book's sources.

Edgar, I'd suggest trying jhalfs. It is really a tool for developers, but it's not that hard to use. You need subversion and the tools uses to build the book (libxml2, libxslt, DocBook, and tidy). If you need help getting it to run properly, I'll be glad to help.

If there is an issue with our instructions, we need to be able to reproduce the problem, but right now, I am unable to do that. Of course the problem may be a difference in HW, but using jhalfs would isolate the HW from the book's instructions.

  -- Bruce