Mark Gregory wrote:
I am trying to build LFS on an older Dell Desktop and keep running into
the same problem during the Make stage of GCC-6.3.0.  Note that while the
CPU on the build computer is pretty fast (2GHz or more), it only has 256
MB RAM, if that might be causing the problem.  I do have a 2 GB swap file
set up on that computer.  I am installing LFS from a Knoppix 7.2 LiveCD,
so the original OS on the Computer is gone.

Below is the Make output just before it quits.
Tail of Make output before failure:

     checking how to run the C++ preprocessor. . . /lib/cpp
     configure: error: in '/mnt/lfs/sources/gcc-6.3.0/build/gcc':
     configure: error: C++ preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check
     See 'config.log' for more details.
     make[1]: *** [configure-gcc] Error 1
     make[1]: Leaving directory '/mnt/lfs/sources/gcc-6.3.0/build'
     make: *** [all] Error 2

     (end of output -mg)

I have attached a copy of the config.log also, in case that will give you
something helpful.

What do I need to do to install gcc and continue with the LFS install?

Try adding more swap. 256 MB is pretty small for current SW. Try adding a swap file that is 3GB.

  -- Bruce