On 08/08/2017 11:48, Mark Gregory wrote:

> Thank you Hazel and others for the replies.  The problem with me is that
> I don't know enough about Linux to know what to do next.  Since Knoppix
> is listed as a choice for a host system in the FAQ, I assume there is a
> way to build LFS using Knoppix as a host.  What I don't know is how to
> add the missing package(s) so they will work with Knoppix to build the
> LFS packages I need.  I am using Knoppix as a live disk, not as an
> installed operating system, and it escapes me how to add a package.
>
> Any hints on how to do it?

I think you'd better install knoppix on hard disk, so that your changes to
the distribution remain across reboots. Then use the tools to install
packages. Something like:
-----
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install build-essential
-----
should lead you close to a working environment. Run version-check.sh and look
for missing packages. Then "apt-get install" them.

Pierre