On Sat, Aug 05, 2017 at 03:25:33PM -0400, Mark Gregory wrote:
> I am trying to build LFS on an older Dell Desktop and keep running into the
> same problem during the Make stage of GCC-6.3.0.  Note that while the CPU on
> the build computer is pretty fast (2GHz or more), it only has 256 MB RAM, if
> that might be causing the problem.  I do have a 2 GB swap file set up on
> that computer.  I am installing LFS from a Knoppix 7.2 LiveCD, so the
> original OS on the Computer is gone.

I don't know how to break this to you, but 2GHz is not considered
fast.  Also, building with only 256 MB of RAM sounds very painful (I
haven't built LFS on less than 1GB RAM for several years), so I
imagine that the build process will take a long time.

> Below is the Make output just before it quits.
> Tail of Make output before failure:
>
>       checking how to run the C++ preprocessor. . . /lib/cpp
>       configure: error: in '/mnt/lfs/sources/gcc-6.3.0/build/gcc':
>       configure: error: C++ preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check
>       See 'config.log' for more details.

Unfortunately, in gcc and binutils (and probably a few other
packages) there are config.log files in several subdirectories.
What you need is the one that has the text 'fails sanity check' in
it.  Should be the newest config.log file, and you can search it (or
all of them, if the timestamps are the same) using 'view' or 'less'
e.g.  /\/lib\/cpp ('/' searches in less and vim, I expect you
probably know that).

When you find the error message, the details are in the lines above
that, probably no more than 40 or 50 lines.  You should see
configure putting out the message that it is checking how to run the
C++ processor, creating something to do that, and then reporting a
detailed error, followed by the message that it fails sanity check.

It is the detailed error message(s) from trying to run whatever
configure generated which will provide the details.

ĸen
--
I live in a city. I know sparrows from starlings.  After that
everything is a duck as far as I'm concerned.  -- Monstrous Regiment