On 08/05/2017 05:24 PM, Ken Moffat wrote:
On Sat, Aug 05, 2017 at 03:25:33PM -0400, Mark Gregory wrote:
I am trying to build LFS on an older Dell Desktop and keep running into the
same problem during the Make stage of GCC-6.3.0.  Note that while the CPU on
the build computer is pretty fast (2GHz or more), it only has 256 MB RAM, if
that might be causing the problem.  I do have a 2 GB swap file set up on
that computer.  I am installing LFS from a Knoppix 7.2 LiveCD, so the
original OS on the Computer is gone.

I don't know how to break this to you, but 2GHz is not considered
fast.  Also, building with only 256 MB of RAM sounds very painful (I
haven't built LFS on less than 1GB RAM for several years), so I
imagine that the build process will take a long time.

Below is the Make output just before it quits.
Tail of Make output before failure:

        checking how to run the C++ preprocessor. . . /lib/cpp
        configure: error: in '/mnt/lfs/sources/gcc-6.3.0/build/gcc':
        configure: error: C++ preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check
        See 'config.log' for more details.

Unfortunately, in gcc and binutils (and probably a few other
packages) there are config.log files in several subdirectories.
What you need is the one that has the text 'fails sanity check' in
it.  Should be the newest config.log file, and you can search it (or
all of them, if the timestamps are the same) using 'view' or 'less'
e.g.  /\/lib\/cpp ('/' searches in less and vim, I expect you
probably know that).

Unfortunately, I was not able to read any config.log files other than the one attached to the first post.

When you find the error message, the details are in the lines above
that, probably no more than 40 or 50 lines.  You should see
configure putting out the message that it is checking how to run the
C++ processor, creating something to do that, and then reporting a
detailed error, followed by the message that it fails sanity check.

It is the detailed error message(s) from trying to run whatever
configure generated which will provide the details.

ĸen

To me, it appears the problem is it can't find a C++ preprocessor. I am installing GCC-6.3.0 and I thought it was supposed to provide the package it is looking for. It seems like a circular reasoning loop to me: 'I need the C++ preprocessor to build the C++ preprocessor.' I am not that sharp in Linux, as I have only been doing Linux for a couple years, and mostly with self-installing distributions (Cinnamon Mint, Slackware). I started try to install LFS to learn more about Linux, but so far, I am getting an 'F'. Any help would be appreciated.

--
Mark Gregory
Email 7605mgreg...@gmail.com