On Sun, Aug 06, 2017 at 06:38:45PM +0300, Thanos Baloukas wrote:
> On 06/08/2017 05:57 μμ, Alan Feuerbacher wrote:
> > On 8/5/2017 10:58 PM, Thanos Baloukas wrote:
> >
> > > I'm going to buy a new system to speed up lfs builds. From what I read
> > > the new AMD Ryzen 7 1700 would be a good choice for this job. Has anyone
> > > tested this processor on lfs?
> >
> > In early May I bought a new ASUS TUF motherboard, Intel 3770 processor,
> > and 32G of ram. LFS builds quickly on this new system. I would think
> > that the new AMD processor would be similar.
> >
> Thanks. My concern is not that much on speed, various benchmarks
> I've seen show it's fast enough. What I have in mind is stability
> and compatibility. Segmentation faults, software produced not running
> on other machines and such.

For not running on other machines, my usual answer is to blame gmp.
Nowadays I always use the fsf config scripts in gmp:

cp -v  config{fsf,}.guess
cp -v config{fsf,}.sub

and then run configure.  I don't _expect_ to run binaries on a
different machine, but this seems a safer thing to do.

For Ryzen, I hope to get one - but I need to sort out various things
first (e.g. my KVM switches and monitors all use D-SUB, I don't see
me coming up with a quick solution to that).  But in the last week I
remember seeing a post on lkml about problems with Ryzen, and it
seems there are a lot of reports.

One thread starts at
https://community.amd.com/thread/215773?start=0&tstart=0
and it looks as if segfaults are common.

Other reports, e.g. at phoronix, note that some users are seeing the
problems and others aren't.

ĸen
--
I live in a city. I know sparrows from starlings.  After that
everything is a duck as far as I'm concerned.  -- Monstrous Regiment