On 05/17/2018 04:42 PM, Admin wrote:
I would not be so certain about this. Today, 6GB RAM is not as much as you
might think. For example, the short C++ code shown here:
https://kristerw.blogspot.com/2017/10/excessive-gcc-memory-usage-for-large.html
requires 8GB of RAM for gcc to compile.

How real this concern is for lfs? I mean, one of the claims about Linux/GNU OS
is that it requires very much less resources such that even old computers can
be made useful again rather than being obsoleted. Also, isn't Debian ported to
RaspberryPi, where the system can be compiled on the target itself using GCC
toolchain with a lot less resources?

If swap is needed, then it still works; it is just slower. For the RaspberryPi, see http://intestinate.com/pilfs/

  -- Bruce