Yes, I am trying to build using Escuelas Linux, which is based on Bodhi
Linux 5.0, which is based on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, so anything that does or
does not work for Ubuntu 18.04 is the same for our distribution. If there
are issues to compile on a derivative of Ubuntu, I can happily switch to
Debian on another VM. Should I use the most recent release of Debian, or
could there be a recommended release for compiling LibreOffice?

I retrieved the sources from git, and trying to compile LO 6.3.0.3