Thanks Michael for the head up about build-nocheck. I used it as a last
resort, because I am still unable to have 'make' finished without an error
if I don't add that parameter.

The use of that parameter is even sort of advised on the LibreOffice blog (
https://blog.documentfoundation.org/blog/2019/06/12/start-developing-libreoffice-download-the-source-code-and-build-on-linux/
)

"If you would like to compile without unit tests (for example, if you don’t
want to check that what you have changed in the source code will cause
regressions), use the *build-nocheck* parameter instead"