Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 16:55:11 -0500
From: "Maya Rushing Walker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: what to do with an old PC
Franklin, our 56k modem gets us 45,333. Hate the thought of going back to
24,400.
I could buy an external 56k modem and stick it onto the old PC.
What is Wingate? A proxy server? What are the uses that you all would have
for a proxy server in the house? Yes, we do have businesses with
websites....
Maya
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 22:31:28 +0100
From: "Franklin Eekhout" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: what to do with an old PC
> From: Maya Rushing Walker [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> >I have an old Pentium system (133 MHz) that is kicking around here. Any
> YES. Get a copy of Smoothwall (I'm assuming you have dial-up
> The bummer is that my old PC has a slow modem. I believe it's 28,800. I
> wonder if it's worth adding an external 56k modem to do this firewall? We
> are on the internet a LOT; we have dial-up access, but it's
> pretty fast, and
> we have a phone line dedicated to internet access. I'd like to get some
> sort of protection.
Doesn't matter really. I hear that the network gurus here use 5 surfing
users per ISDN channel as a rule-of-thumb. So your old modem should support
2-3 users ok.
A 56 K modem will give realistically about 44-46K.
How about a caching proxy server? This might speed up things. I'm a linux
fan, but not a user. So what about using Wingate? It supports 2-3 users in
'free' mode. Most other proxy servers just pass on requests; a caching
server can be set up so that it will keep the latest copy and pass that on.
Which may give a better/faster web page rendered. Also, if hubby has looked
at the LA Times it will be cached and might not require a new dail-up if you
wish to see the same page. There are Linux caching servers too; Squid comes
to mind. I rate Wingate as easy, Squid requires Linux installed...
Look around Tucows.com and so forth.
Search and ye will find; ask and ye will be answered.
:-)
br
Franklin
**************************************************************
http://libretto.basiclink.com - Libretto mailing list
http://libretto.basiclink.com/archive - Archives
http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/portable/faq.html - FAQ
-------UNSUBSCRIBE-------
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?subject=cmd:unsubscribe
--------UNSUBSCRIBE DIGEST------
Use above but add DIGEST to the subject line...
**************************************************************