On Jul 9, 5:27 pm, Vlad Seryakov <vserya...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am building Web application using Lift (my first one) which is the
> port of existing Tcl/Aolserver based application. In the existing one
> i have two parts: Web and backend. Backedn part consists of jobs
> running in the background from time to time using schedule or on
> demand. I am trying to figure out the architecture and practical way
> of doing this in servlet/Lift environment. I used to have telnet
> interface but this is not a requirement, i can test using special
> temporary Web interface. Is there any recommendation or experience
> regarding such applications?

In my opinion... Yes, drop the telnet and do a web interface to
administrate anything, its worth it.

> for example, i have special job for importing huge Xml files into the
> database.

How huge?

> The problem of loading big Xml files in Scala is already a
> challenge but for now i assume i have unlimited memory. The problem i
> have how to test it.

Test it? like automated testing or test it "want to know it works". If
its the second, how about making a simple html file with a file submit
form, add a sitemap entry to a lift application and create a snippet
that parses that file and print the time it takes to crunch it! =) If
you have no idea how to do this I would recomend buying the Lift book
( http://www.apress.com/book/view/9781430224211 which is not quite
easy or polished but its a great way to go head first into the
liftworld)

>Using scala interpreter mode i could test the Xml
> Mapper setup for my schema. Calling this job from simple Web snippet
> is my only choice?

Calling this job from a web snippet is one way, other is to use mvn
scala:console, but really is fast to set up that snippet, if you need
any help let me know!