On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 5:27 PM, Vlad Seryakov <vserya...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am building Web application using Lift (my first one) which is the
> port of existing Tcl/Aolserver based application. In the existing one
> i have two parts: Web and backend. Backedn part consists of jobs
> running in the background from time to time using schedule or on
> demand. I am trying to figure out the architecture and practical way
> of doing this in servlet/Lift environment. I used to have telnet
> interface but this is not a requirement, i can test using special
> temporary Web interface. Is there any recommendation or experience
> regarding such applications?

My rule of thumb is that if the app needs to "push" something to the web
interface, having them co-resident is easier.  If they are communicating by
writing RDBMS records, separation has advantages (bring down one of the
apps, doesn't impact the other app.)

You could also treat the apps as separate entities, but run them in the same
Java Virtual Machine.  OSGi is particularly good at handling stuff like
this.

> for example, i have special job for importing huge Xml files into the
> database. The problem of loading big Xml files in Scala is already a
> challenge but for now i assume i have unlimited memory. The problem i
> have how to test it. Using scala interpreter mode i could test the Xml
> Mapper setup for my schema. Calling this job from simple Web snippet
> is my only choice?

You can run a Mapper-based app separately from the web interface.  The XML
parsing issue with your data set is non-trivial.  Have you looked at the
Java SAX parser and hooking into events in the SAX parser so you're only
keeping 1 record in memory at once?

Thanks,

David

Git some: http://github.com/dpp