override def validations = validPriority _ :: super.validations

This is a more of a comment about Scala than one about Lift - this does
look cryptic to me. And this is just one of the simpler syntax that confuses
people, who are new to the language. And I'm one of them.

I understand that you don't have to learn all the tricks/syntax to start
coding in Scala but you do have to understand it when you read
source code of libraries written by someone with much more advanced
language skills.

In David's book he says "After more than two years of coding Scala, ...
My brain has finally stopped hurting." This sounds like a very high
barrier to entry.

I'm just wondering why Scala has to be so complicated. I'm sure a lot
of things in Scala have their reasons but at the mean time I also
suspect that many of the odd things are there to reduce
typing, which is advertised as one of the advantages of this language -
conciseness. (I could be very wrong due to my lack of understanding.)
If the latter is true, I feel that I'd rather type a little more to make the
code easier to read.

Just feeling a little frustrated learning Scala. I think it's much
easier learning
Java. Not much surprise. Not sure if anyone shares my experience
(and opinion, if there is one.)