Andrew,

On Sun, Aug 30, 2015 at 11:08 AM, Andrew Bernard <andrew.bern...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Greetings All,
>
> Not that it is relevant to the OP’s question in any way, but I can’t help
> noticing out that this didactic example makes copious use of horizontal
> bracket spanners with centred text on every note - the very thing that I am
> currently working on. They’re everywhere. :-)

LilyPond already has the ability to make analysis brackets, which are
attached to note columns and can nest as in the link (HorizontalBracket).
I have an old patch for adding text to these that I will finish up and
post.  (I have code for doing this in Scheme, but my approach now is an
enhancement of the C++ engraver.)

Best,
David