>>> libreadline is not a Guile module.  It can be loaded at runtime by
>>> Guile.
>>>
>>> Maybe check whether installing libreadline5 or libreadline6 helps: it
>>> may be that Gub compiled with a certain libreadline version in mind that
>>> is not installed.
>>>
>>> --
>>> David Kastrup
>>
>> I currently have the following 3 installed:
>> libreadline5
>> libreadline6
>> libreadline6-dev
>>
>> Should I try removing one?
>
> No.  All but the -dev ones can be installed in parallel without problem.
> You can have only one -dev one usually.
>
> --
> David Kastrup

Ok.

I have GUB-git on my computer, although never tried to compile it on
my weak laptop I did:

~/gub (master)$ git grep "libreadline"
sourcefiles/guile.changelog:  * Add readline as build dependency,
libreadline8 as dependency for
sourcefiles/guile.changelog:  * guile.hint (requires): Update to
libncurses8, libreadline6.
sourcefiles/guile.changelog:  * Compile against libreadline5 and
libncurses6.  This fixes readline,
sourcefiles/guile.changelog:  * guile.hint: require libreadline5 and
libncurses6.

The first hit reads in sourcefiles/guile.changelog:

guile (1.8.1-2) unstable; urgency=low

  * Add readline as build dependency, libreadline8 as dependency for
    libguile17 (thanks Ted Anderson).
  * Remove /etc/hints.
  * Remove curr from hints.

 -- Jan Nieuwenhuizen <jann...@gnu.org>  Tue, 31 Oct 2006 00:47:35 +0100

No idea whether it's important, it's far beyond my depth.

Cheers,
  Harm