On 13/9/04 8:00 pm, "Ross Clutterbuck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm trying to set a variable to #dsl but Director is insisting on using
> #DSL, but all other symbols I assign (#enet, #internal, #subnext, etc) all
> remain as-written.

Hi Ross,

If this is for a projector, you can cure it as follows:

1) Create a text file named Lingo.ini containing the following handler:

on startUp
  x = #dsl
end

2) Place the Lingo.ini file in the same folder as your projector.

When you start up the projector, the startUp handler will be executed before
any movies are loaded.  This will place the string "dsl" (in lower case) in
the symbols table, before any other movie has had time to add the symbol
with a different case.

You could create a new, clean stub movie for your projector, and make a
similar declaration in that.  If you make the stub out of your existing
movie, the symbols table already contained in the movie will be read before
your code has had a chance to be executed.

If you are running your project in Shockwave, you could place the x=#dsl
line in a clean movie that you then use as a loader.

While authoring, you could type "put #dsl" (without the quotes) in Message
window, immediately after launching Director.

In short: make sure that Director first reads the symbol in the case you
want it to be in later.

Cheers,

James

PS: I believe you used to be able to flush the symbols table from a given
movie by recompiling all scripts, saving and compacting, then quitting
Director and relaunching it.  Either that no longer seems to work, or I've
got the voodoo wrong.