it is a case of using a symbol that already exists and defaults to the first inclusion in the symbol list.

That, however, is not the issue here. I have no previous instances of this symbol - the first time it is created Director converts it to uppercase. But saying that I've got a lot of development and testing messy code present at the moment so it's likely something's getting its wires crossed.

Someone explained this very thoroughly on DirectL within the last several months if you care to search for the thread.

And away I go! Thanks - methinks I better subscribe to Direct-L too so I don't start cludging up one list with answers found elsewhere.

To be honest it's the first time I've had this problem and it's been resolved, but reading up can't hurt.

Thanks!

Ross