At 12:30 Uhr -0400 22.09.2004, roymeo wrote:
the scriptExecutionStyle does leave out some, though.

My first test to see if D10 was going to improve a project kept running into problems with the 'cheater-navigation' MIAW I had in it for authoring. no amount of scriptexecutionstyle = 9 was able to convince it to deal with my D9 MIAW syntax.

the scriptexecutionstyle can't provide the whole old window handling from pre-D10.
in D10 the window handling has changed completely.
Very great improvements and enhancements have been made.
it seems that great parts of the code have been rewritten to allow the new features and handling of miaws.
the scriptexecutionstyle can't toggle between old and new window handling code, as this would mean to 'carry the complete old code along', I guess.
nonetheless the director team has made a tremendous job in preserving backward compatibility.
the major culprit seems to be the windowtype property, which now is completely absent and obsolete, but was used before nearly always, when we handled miaws.
this is just not compatible with the new window handling.
but nonetheless they tried hard to come up with a solution to not break our old content.
which is, that you can open a miaw which was authored in older director versions and it simply ignores the windowtype settings (which in most cases looks not that nice, but is the standard plain windowtype).
BUT it is onmly compatible for playback, you can't author the old way of handling miaws in D10 authoring for obvious reasons.
so, if you open a miaw to edit it in director you will have to adjust the code and the handling of the miaw and enjoy the new, more powerful and easier to use miaw handling.
in most cases it is simply matter of looking for 'windowtype' and replace the settings by its new equivalent (or just comment it out and adjust the settings in the display template pane of the pane completely without the need of any line of code)
and the second thing to look for, this is what Tom mentioned and what is affected by the scriptexecutionstyle, is the place where you create new windows.
before you could just reference any window(xyz) and it would be automatic created if not already present. now there is no automatic creation of window objects, which now allows you to test, if a window was already created before (such a test was very clumsy in prior versions of director)
the referencing of objects was strictly cleaned up, which I welcome very much and appreciate.
referencing a non-existant object now return void in all cases (if SES = 10 of course)
this behaves exactly the same for:

window()
timeout()
script()
xtra()
member()

(did I miss one ?)

in versions < D10 there were three different ways of handling a non existant object, ranging from script error, void to automatic creation.

once you become used to the little differences there is not much more to it as to bear the few differences between mac and win specific lingo code in mind.
I still write all my scripts to be compatible with both versions of director, so they work regardless of the SES setting. the only things that need attention is the creation of timeouts, windows and checking for the member type of non existant members. other than that all my code is the same for both SES.

HTH

ażex