> What about syntax like: _player.window[x].movie.someHandler()
> and all the other DOM stuff? Isn't the "validity" of this
> governed by the SES?

Nope. Regardless of the SES value you can still use the syntax you cited,
again, the SES property only affects those particular top-level functions
and not the remainder of DOM access. That doesn't remove the problems around
using the DOM access if you attempt to open the movie back in MX though, so
do remember that the validity of the new DOM code is based on the player
version as only player 10 supports it.

> And I can't seem to find a listing for 'tell' in the help
> anymore - doesn't the SES "deprecate" this command?

No. The tell command was deprecated because we introduced new DOM access to
window objects in the version 10 player. Instead of using tell blocks you
can now simply do this:

windowRef.movie.someHandler()
(or the window access you cited above)

Whatever you put after the .movie is then executed within that movie's
context, just as it is supposed to within a tell block. But remember,
despite being deprecated, that doesn't mean that the functionality won't
work anymore (try it, you can still use tell all you want). We can't remove
support for functionality so easily as it breaks old content, in the case of
the window object's windowType property it was critical as we'd then have
property sets out of balance so we nixed windowType altogether in that move.
But for tell you can still use it, or you can use the new DOM-window object
access instead, neither of those is affected by the SES property.

Make sense? At least maybe more sense? Keep firing if you have questions or
comments.

Tom Higgins : Product Manager - Director
http://www.markme.com/thiggins/  <--- Just updated today (September 22,
2004)